By Mark G. Sobell
For use with all models of Linux, together with Ubuntu,™ Fedora,™ openSUSE,™ pink Hat,® Debian, Mandriva, Mint, and now OS X, too!
Get extra performed speedier, and turn into a real Linux guru by way of getting to know the command line!
* study from hundreds of thousands of real looking, high quality examples
* NEW! assurance of the Mac OS X command line and its particular instruments
* NEW! professional primer on automating projects with Perl
The Most worthy Linux educational and Reference, with 1000s of fine quality Examples for each Distribution–Now Covers OS X and Perl, Too!
To be actually efficient with Linux, you must completely grasp shells and the command line. previously, you needed to purchase books to achieve that mastery: an educational on basic Linux techniques and methods, plus a separate reference. Now, there’s a stronger answer. well known Linux specialist Mark Sobell has introduced jointly entire, insightful advice at the instruments process directors, builders, and gear clients desire so much, and a good daily reference, either within the similar book.
This booklet is 100% distribution and liberate agnostic: you should use it with any Linux process, now and for years yet to come. Use Macs, too? This re-creation provides finished insurance of the Mac OS X command line, together with crucial OS X-only instruments and utilities different Linux/UNIX books forget about.
Packed with countless numbers of top quality, life like examples, this e-book offers Linux from the floor up: the clearest motives and most dear wisdom approximately every thing from filesystems to shells, editors to utilities, and programming instruments to standard expressions. Sobell has additionally additional an excellent new primer on Perl, an important programming device for Linux admins looking to automate advanced, time-consuming tasks.
A functional advisor to Linux® instructions, Editors, and Shell Programming, moment Edition, is the single publication to deliver
larger, extra life like examples protecting initiatives you’ll really want to accomplish
* Deeper perception, according to Sobell’s tremendous wisdom of each Linux and OS X corner and cranny
* A start-to-finish primer on Perl for each approach administrator
* In-depth insurance of uncomplicated and complex Linux shell programming with bash and tcsh
* sensible motives of a hundred middle utilities, from aspell to xargs–including Mac OS X particular utilities from ditto to SetFile
* All-new insurance of automating distant backups with rsync
* Dozens of approach protection suggestions, together with step by step walkthroughs of imposing safe communications utilizing ssh and scp
* guidance and methods for customizing the shell and utilizing it interactively from the command line
* entire courses to high-productivity enhancing with either vim and emacs * A entire, 286-page command reference section–now with revised and accelerated indexes for speedier entry to the data you wish
* directions for updating platforms immediately with apt-get and yum * Dozens of workouts that can assist you perform and achieve self assurance
* and masses extra, together with insurance of BitTorrent, gawk, sed, find, sort, bzip2, and ordinary expressions
Praise for the 1st variation of a realistic advisor to Linux instructions, Editors, and Shell Programming
“First Sobell taught humans find out how to use Linux…now he teaches you the ability of Linux. a must have booklet for a person who desires to take Linux to the following level.”
—Jon “maddog” corridor, government Director, Linux International
“This publication is a really useful gizmo for somebody who desires to ‘look below the hood’ to be able to communicate, and very commence placing the ability of Linux to paintings. What i locate relatively troublesome approximately guy pages is they by no means contain examples. Sobell, nonetheless, outlines very truly what the command does after which provides a number of universal, easy-tounderstand examples that make it a breeze to begin shell programming on one’s personal. As with Sobell’s different works, this is often easy, straight-forward, and simple to learn. It’s a superb e-book and may remain at the shelf at effortless arm’s achieve for an extended time.”
—Ray Bartlett, shuttle Writer
“Overall i discovered this ebook to be rather first-class, and it has earned a place at the very entrance of my bookshelf. It covers the genuine ‘guts’ of Linux—the command line and its utilities—and does so rather well. Its most powerful issues are the exceptional use of examples, and the Command Reference part. hugely urged for Linux clients of all ability degrees. good performed to Mark Sobell and Prentice corridor for this striking book!”
—Dan Clough, Electronics Engineer and Slackware Linux user
“Totally in contrast to so much Linux books, this publication avoids discussing every little thing through GUI and jumps correct into making the facility of the command line your friend.”
—Bjorn Tipling, software program Engineer, ask.com
“This e-book is the simplest distro-agnostic, foundational Linux reference I’ve ever obvious, out of dozens of Linux-related books I’ve learn. discovering this publication was once a true stroke of good fortune. to be able to relatively know the way to get issues performed on the command line, the place the facility and adaptability of unfastened UNIX-like OSes fairly reside, this ebook is without doubt one of the most sensible instruments you’ll locate towards that end.”
—Chad Perrin, author, TechRepublic
Read or Download A Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming (2nd Edition) PDF
Best linux books
Approach directors have to remain sooner than new defense vulnerabilities that depart their networks uncovered each day. A firewall and an intrusion detection platforms (IDS) are vital guns in that struggle, permitting you to proactively deny entry and visual display unit community site visitors for symptoms of an assault.
Starting Fedora 2 teaches you every thing you want to be aware of with the intention to set up, configure, use, and preserve Fedora. This publication designated basically at readers who're utilizing (or making plans to take advantage of) the Fedora Linux working process for the 1st time. It deals the straightforward, plain-speaking assistance you wish as you start to discover the tremendous strength of open resource software program.
This booklet is especially gentle on content material (it's an exquisite small e-book, 193 pages for the first material). when you simply examine the desk of contents, you will get extra intensity in a pair hours of googling. It is just not a really beneficial e-book. It has not anything to provide a programmer with any point of expertise with Linux or embedded platforms, and it does not fairly teach the fellow who is new to these matters.
Administer Ubuntu Server within the Enterprise
Realize a dynamic, strong, and safe Ubuntu Server surroundings with specialist information, assistance, and strategies from a Linux expert. Ubuntu Server management covers each aspect of procedure management--from clients and dossier structures to functionality tuning and troubleshooting. the way to automate set up utilizing Kickstart, organize print and net servers, configure and safe networks and TCP/IP ports, and enforce Linux virtualization. you will additionally get information on sharing assets through NFS and Samba, retaining your process, and customizing the Linux kernel.
- set up Ubuntu Server version in a creation environment
- Use administrative instructions, safe with the PolicyKit, and customise permissions with ACLs
- Configure filesystems in walls, logical volumes, and RAID arrays.
- Configure safe distant management utilizing the safe Shell and Landscape
- deal with updates and configure neighborhood repository mirrors
- regulate clients with quotas, PAMs, and authentication databases
- construct net servers utilizing Apache, MySQL, and PHP
- deal with defense with AppArmor, Kerberos, iptables-based firewalls, and TCP Wrappers
- Virtualize your approach utilizing VMware, Virtualbox, and KVM
Covers Ubuntu eight. 04 (LTS)
- Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach
- Solaris 9 Sun Certified System Administrator Study Guide
- Linux Security Cookbook
- SuSE Linux 10.0 - Systembetreuer
- Linux Magazine [FR], Issue 181 (April 2015)
- Linux Device Drivers (Nutshell Handbooks)
Extra info for A Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming (2nd Edition)
Thanks First and foremost I want to thank my editor at Prentice Hall, Mark L. Taub, who encouraged me and kept me on track. Mark is unique in my experience: He is an editor who works with the tools I am writing about. Because Mark runs Linux on Preface xli his home computer, we share experiences as I write. His comments and direction were invaluable. Thank you, Mark T. Molly Sharp of ContentWorks worked with me during the day-by-day production of this book, providing help, listening to my rants, and keeping everything on track.
The File Tree index (page 989) lists, in hierarchical fashion, most files mentioned in this book. These files are also listed in the Main index. ◆ The Utility index (page 991) locates all utilities mentioned in this book. A page number in a light font indicates a brief mention of the utility; use of the regular font indicates more substantial coverage. ◆ The completely revised Main index (page 995) is designed for ease of use. Overlap If you read A Practical Guide to Red Hat ® Linux®: Fedora™ and Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Fourth Edition, or A Practical Guide to Ubuntu Linux®, Second Edition, or a subsequent edition of either book, you will notice some overlap between those books and the one you are reading now.
The GNU Project’s C compiler supports C, C++, and Objective-C. Overview of Linux The Linux operating system has many unique and powerful features. Like other operating systems, it is a control program for computers. But like UNIX, it is also a well-thought-out family of utility programs (Figure 1-1) and a set of tools that allow users to connect and use these utilities to build systems and applications. Linux Has a Kernel Programming Interface The Linux kernel—the heart of the Linux operating system—is responsible for allocating the computer’s resources and scheduling user jobs so each one gets its fair share of system resources, including access to the CPU; peripheral devices, such as hard disk, DVD, and CD-ROM storage; printers; and tape drives.
A Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming (2nd Edition) by Mark G. Sobell